• Math MCAS on 5/21 and 5/22!
  • Senior Arts Night 5/19!
  • Student Art Festival on 5/18!
  • Vocational Awards Night 5/9!
  • Academic Recognition Night 5/30!

Girls Hockey dazzles with 2 big wins

Lily+Pregent+speeds+on+the+ice.+
Dawn Enos
Lily Pregent speeds on the ice.

The GHS girls hockey team has been riding by their opponents in their fishing boat their past 2 games, earning shutout wins against Wakefield and Shawsheen. 

Earlier, the team shutout Wakefield with a score of 4-0. 45 seconds into the game, Lily Pregent scored a sniper shot goal with passes from Captain Ella Costa and Keagan Jewell. Shortly after, Jewell scored on a power play after an incredible passing job from her teammates. 

To start off the second, Pregent scored again with an assist from Jewell. Another power-play goal, this time by Jenna Connelly, secured the Fishermen’s win. The goal was preceded by Gloucester’s outstanding passing and puck control, where Costa, Connelly, and Pregent dominated offensively. 

Kaydin Cusumano was outstanding between the pipes as usual, blocking the nine shots Wakefield threw at her. Compared to Wakefield’s nine shot, the Fishermen attempted 32. 

Their game against Shawsheen went similarly, with the team earning another shutout win. With a final score of 6-0, goals were scored by Pregent (3), Captain Brooke McNiff, Connelly, and Ari Scola. Jewell was a powerhouse on the ice, both defending the Gloucester net and assisting on multiple goals offensively. Pregent’s hat trick was met with cheers and hats thrown onto the ice. Cusumano made many saves in the net, stopping any chance Shawsheen could manage.

Their next game is slotted for Wednesday at 4 pm. Pack the tank as the girls take on a difficult Peabody team before the Boys’ Varsity game.