The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Math MCAS on 5/21 and 5/22!
  • Senior Arts Night 5/19!
  • Student Art Festival on 5/18!
  • Vocational Awards Night 5/9!
  • Academic Recognition Night 5/30!
  • Term 4 progress reports on 5/8!

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Girls hockey drops first game back home against Beverly

Aleena Brown
Captain Abby Lowthers skates down the ice in pursuit of the puck.

With a NEC game back at Dorothy Talbot Rink after a long away game lineup, the Fishermen were hoping to give the crowd a win. However, a tough Beverly Panthers beat the girls’ hockey team in a 4-5 battle.

Fishermen goals were scored by Lily Pregent, Jenna Connelly, Halia Taylor, and Keagan Jewell. Assists went to Captains Brooke McNiff and Ella Costa, along with 2 from Sydney Bouchie. 

The game started well for the Fishermen, with a goal from Pregent that she tipped off McNiff’s shot. Connelly struck in the second with a Bouchie assist. Standout goalie Kaydin Cusumano was solid in the net, preventing a Panther goal during a scrum in front of Gloucester’s net. 

McNiff had an extreme backcheck that helped the Fishermen prevent a goal from being scored against them. Taylor scored on a wraparound goal during the 3rd period that successfully tied up the game. When the Panthers gained a lead of one, Jewell shot the puck in for a beautiful and unassisted goal that tied the game 4-4. While Cusumano blocked many of Beverly’s shots, especially in the third, the Panthers managed to squeeze one by to win the game.

Despite the loss, the team persisted and kept up with the Panthers throughout the entire game. This was the first game in a while that the opposing team came close to Gloucester’s shots, with the Fishermen having 28 shots while the Panthers had 26. 

This loss pushes the Fishermen to a 7-2 record, breaking their 3-game winning streak. With another game at The Tank this Wednesday against Hopkinton, the team expects to prevail victoriously. Pack the Tank for the girls at 6:00pm for puck drop.