The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • Term 4 progress reports on 5/8!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

GHS boys basketball outlasts Saugus in nail-biting win

Jack+Silvera+looks+for+a+teammate+to+pass+to.+
Dawn Enos
Jack Silvera looks for a teammate to pass to.

For the team’s fifth win of the season, the GHS boys basketball team defeated the Saugus Sachems in a 42-40 win at home.

The first quarter ended with a 4-point Fishermen lead and the Fishermen stayed up throughout the first three quarters. With a 22-18 lead at halftime and then a 36-27 lead after the third, the Fishermen were in high spirits. 

The game got dicey in the last quarter, with Saugus garnering speed and nailing many scoring opportunities. Despite a 3-point buzzer shot from the Sachems, Gloucester won by a small margin of 2 to get their fifth win of the season.

Charlie Amero led the Fishermen with 12 points while Andrew Cribbs scored 8 and Brayden Francis scored 6. Freshman Carlos Velazquez had a steaming hot game, putting up a total of 9 points and creating many turnovers for the Fishermen. Jack Silveria also scored a 3-pointer on the court line. The team’s effort was met with support from Rockport’s basketball team, who came to cheer them on.

The Fishermen are now 5-10 on the season with a total of 4 games left in the season. They play Marblehead away on the 13th but come to support the boys on February 16th as they hope to snag another win.