• Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

Fishermen split with Knights at home

Brett+Cunningham+brings+the+puck+around+the+back+of+the+net+
Aleena Brown
Brett Cunningham brings the puck around the back of the net

A tie is always better than a loss and that’s exactly what the Gloucester boys’ hockey team got in their game against the North Andover Knights. 

Assistant Captain Brett Cunningham and Colby Warren scored the Fishermen’s goals for the night. On Warren’s goal, Sam Sanfillipo and Cade Cooper assisted. 

Gloucester struck first in the intense game, with Cunningham scoring an unassisted goal short-handed during the first period. The Scarlet Knights immediately responded, shooting the puck through Gloucester’s Riley DeHaan. Almost as quickly as North Andover recovered and tied the game, the team scored their second goal of the night only minutes later.  

Midway through the second period, Warren came to Gloucester’s saving grace, netting the puck hard after passes from Sanfilippo and Cooper. 

While Gloucester hoped to get a big win at home, they settled for a tie after neither team scored in overtime. Gloucester played the last three periods better than the first, out-shooting the Knights 30-16. The Fishermen also dominated their opponents’ zone for much of the 3rd and 4th period. 

Warren, who has scored a total of 4 goals across the past 3 games, has really stepped up for the Fishermen these past games. The junior has taken on a big role with the absence of top scorer Colby Jewell and has been shining. Some of the other players on the team, such as Peter Gilraine, Cade Francis, and Kam Francis, have been stepping up to and positively impacting the Fishermen’s game.

However, with the current loss of 4 varsity players due to injuries, the Fishermen are struggling compared to earlier games. The team is awaiting the return of these key players to the lineup, where they are hopefully going to light a spark in the Fishermen’s game play.

Gloucester’s record moves to 8-7-1 as they await to play the Masconomet Cheiftans on Saturday night in their opponent’s home rink.