• Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

Girls hockey defeats Newburyport with nail-biting 7-5 win

Keagan+Jewell+plays+the+puck+down+the+ice.+
Dawn Enos
Keagan Jewell plays the puck down the ice.

Newburyport had no chance of keeping Gloucester off their backs at their home rink, where the Clippers fell to the Fishermen in a 7-5 win.

Goals for the Fishermen were scored by Keagan Jewell (3), Lily Pregent (3), and Ari Scola. Pregent had one assist on Jewell’s third goal and Jewell assisted two of Pregent’s. The other four goals between Jewell, Scola, and Pregent were unassisted. 

Jewell was the first to strike for the Fishermen, scoring with 3 minutes left in the first. Jewell scored two more goals between the first two periods, scoring a hat trick. Scola scored an unassisted goal in the second to make the score 4-5.

Gloucester tied up the game early in the third period with a Pregent goal. Another Pregent goal pushed Gloucester ahead by a goal, and forced Newburyport to call a timeout with only one minute remaining. However, Pregent finished the game with an unassisted, empty-net goal in the last minute to get a hat trick and solidify Gloucester’s big win.

With the team’s win and her 5 point-game, Jewell scored her 50th point as only a sophomore. She’s expected to score more points this season and reach 100 before graduation. The 9th place team’s record moves to 11-3-1 with a big game this Wednesday at 4 pm against Marblehead. Pack the tank for the girls as they look to continue their winning streak.

View Comments (1)