The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Math MCAS on 5/21 and 5/22!
  • Senior Arts Night 5/19!
  • Student Art Festival on 5/18!
  • Vocational Awards Night 5/9!
  • Academic Recognition Night 5/30!
  • Term 4 progress reports on 5/8!

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Girls basketball sends the Witches to trial

Dawn Enos
Jordan Purdue del Torchio goes for a 2-point shot.

To the gallows the Witches go! The GHS girls’ basketball team beat the Salem Witches on Monday night in an aggressive 52-33 win. 

The Fishermen were led by Taiya Mano, who had three 3-pointers and 15 total points. Jordan Purdue del Torchio scored 11 points, and Lexi Carollo was close behind with 10. Freshman Olivia Madruga had 6 points, while Bella Goulart and Anna Cinelli had 5. 

The first quarter started strong, with Goulart striking early with a 3-point shot. Mano hit 2 three-pointers from the corner of the court, along with a free throw. The Fishermen ended the first with a 17-8 lead. At halftime, the Fishermen were leading 28-15. The girls were strong with their passing and shots, outshooting the Witches.

Throughout the second half, Gloucester dominated the court, scoring a total of 24 points. The girls were on fire, only allowing in 18 points from the aggressive Witches. Despite Salem’s last-minute push, there was no chance of a comeback, leading to their 52-33 defeat.

The Fishermen made half of their 16 attempted free throw shots throughout the game. They also stopped every 3-point attempt by the Salem crew, solidifying their strong home win.

Overall, the team was proud of their win. “I thought the game went really well, especially defensively,” Anna Cinelli said post-But, you know, we got a little fired up and intense.” Cinelli said post-game.

Bella Goulart felt similarly. “I think it was nice that we got our whole bench out to play,” Goulart said. “It got really intense at times, but we still powered through for the win.”

With the win, the team moves onto 4-9 with only 7 games left to play. Their next game is in Swampscott this Thursday, but make sure to come support the group January 30th at the high school in their game against Winthrop High.