The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • Term 4 progress reports on 5/8!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

GHS girls hockey add another win under their belts

Dawn Enos
Kaya Collins awaits a pass from her teammate

GHS girls hockey have another win to add to their record, crushing Melrose 6-4 on Wednesday night. 

Goals were scored by Jenna Connelly (2), Capt. Abby Lowthers (2), Capt. Ella Costa, and 8th grader Kaya Collins. Assists went to Halia Taylor, Lily Pregent, Ari Scola, Capt. Brooke McNiff and Sydney Bouchie. 

Gloucester dominated Melrose’s zone for most of the game, taking 25 more shots than their opponents. Defenseman Keagan Jewell was aggressive at the Melrose net, totaling multiple shots to the goalie as well as creating good passing opportunities. 

Gloucester was up two goals in the second, with one from senior Connelly and one from 8th grader Collins. Collins’s goal was the first Varsity goal of her career, despite being only an 8th grader. With Melrose tying the game up with 2 minutes left in the period, Lowthers shot the puck deep to end the second period up by 1.

Despite two more goals from Melrose, the Gloucester Fishermen maintained their composure, scoring 3 more goals to seal the win.

Finishing up their 5-game away stretch and maintaining the close-to-perfect record of 7-1, the Fishermen are now focusing on their NEC opponents Beverly at home on Saturday. Come support the girls at 4pm as they hope to take down the Panthers.