• Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

Christmas gift ideas for your confusing dad

Cyan Clements
Art by Cyan Clements

Christmas is coming, and many of us have a problem. You have a father, and you have no idea what to get him. Your siblings, your friends, and even your mom are easier targets. But what do you get for your dad, when every idea seems expensive, over-the-top, or impractical? Here are some fun suggestions if you want to shop locally, and bring a smile to your dad’s face this season:

Gift Certificates

Though sometimes viewed as a cop-out, gift certificates are an easy thing to give your mysterious dad. They’re budget-friendly, and can be as cheap or expensive as you want them to be. Gloucester is a great place to be for dad-friendly gift certificates, no matter what variety of dad you have. Below is a list of Gloucester businesses that sell gift certificates that your dad is sure to love:

• Nelson’s
  • The Gloucester Cinema
  • The Bookstore of Gloucester
  • Cafe Sicilia
  • Virgilio’s
  • The Building Center

Accessories

Some dads are stylish, and some dads are hyper-practical. Either way, all dads need accessories. Accessories are convenient to shop for, and easy to find in any price range. 

Chances are, your dad has not bought a new pair of sunglasses in a long time. This Christmas, he can put away the scratched ones he bought in 1990, and don a fresh pair. For added flair, get him a glasses case to keep his new shades safe.

If your dad is into sports, baseball hats are another good gift. While brand-new caps can be expensive, thrifting online or in-person can yield cheaper options. Thrift stores are also the place to go for oddball t-shirts, if you’re looking for a good gag gift. Go local to Bananas or Beverly Bootstraps, or to the Savers in Danvers for a wider selection.

The vast majority of dads also need socks. Get him a funny pair with a slogan, or a stylish pair, or a warm and fuzzy pair for the wintertime. It may be a bummer to be a kid on Christmas morning and find a pair of socks under the Christmas tree, but your adult dad might appreciate a new pair. Socks can be as goofy or as practical as you want them to be.

Food

Food is perhaps the most practical gift for a dad. If he’s got a sweet tooth, a box of Turtle Alley confections from Gloucester’s own chocolate shop is sure to satisfy it. Dried fruits and nuts are also delicious stocking-stuffer presents, and they’ll store well throughout the month.

For the dads who love to cook, consider getting him a cookbook of his favorite kinds of meals. Whether he’s a grill master or a veggie enthusiast, baker or stew-maker, the perfect cookbook for him is out there. Spices are another fun gift for your culinary father, along with oven mitts or aprons. If you can sew, or you’re just learning to, aprons are a good beginner project. If you’re a beginner sewer, knitter, or crocheter, or if you’re pressed for time, potholders are one of the easiest items to make.

Miscellaneous Items

Does your dad love music? Full-size speakers are expensive, but for dads on the move, there are mini speakers that clip onto belt loops. If he’s a musician, and especially a guitar player, Diamond Cove Music in downtown Gloucester has what you need this holiday season. Get him a fun guitar strap, or a set of picks, or maybe a metronome for when he practices. 

Do you remember when your dad bought you a Lego set as a kid, but it seemed like he was the one who really wanted to build it? Cut to the chase, and buy him his own set! For extra bonding, the two of you can build it together while you listen to music from his new speaker. 

If you find yourself at the end of the season with nary a gift for dad in sight, a super easy present is to write him a personal gift card from you. Gloucester has tons of free and fun activities, from concerts and art workshops to scenic hikes along the water or through the woods. Take him on a walking trail he’s never been on, or bring him along to some free live music at Harbor Loop. All you need for this one is a card and a good idea. Your dad might not want more stuff, but he might love a day of fun and new activities with you.

View Comments (1)