The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • Term 4 progress reports on 5/8!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Cross Country senior spotlight

Colby+Rochford+and+Faith+Castellucci+at+their+senior+night+track+meet.+
Grace Castellucci
Colby Rochford and Faith Castellucci at their senior night track meet.

For Gloucester High School Track Star seniors Faith Castellucci and Colby Rochford, the seventh and final season of their Cross Country careers had a bit of an interesting start. Both students have brought many accolades to the GHS Cross Country and Track teams, including national appearances and new school records. 

The Gloucester Cross Country team had been an active part of the GHS fall sport season for years, but the team was cut this school year due to a decline in membership. Castellucci and Rochford decided to join a new team, a co-op between Rockport and Manchester Essex High Schools, for their senior season.  

“I was a little sad about not finishing at Gloucester,” said Faith Castellucci. “But I was glad to be in a bigger team with more girls.” 

Seniors Castellucci and Rochford did not let the lack of fellow Gloucester teammates deter them from their season, and agreed to run for Manchester Essex Cross Country in 2023. 

“I was extremely excited to combine with Manchester-Essex because they have a lot of very strong athletes that would be able to push me to become an even better runner,” added Rochford, “To go from not having a senior Cross-Country season to having one was pretty exciting.”

Castellucci has had a true passion for running for years, which comes through in her performance during meets. In her time as a high school runner, she has competed in numerous meets in events such as the 1 mile, 2 mile and 3.1 mile race. 

“It has taught me how to fight through adversity and clear my mind,” Castellucci said. “It keeps me level. You should see me when I’m not running.”

After high school, Castellucci plans on attending Liberty University in Virginia next fall to pursue a degree in nursing. 

Rochford, known for his long distance and relay races, is undecided between UMass Amherst, Bentley, or Tufts University, where he intends to study economics. 

“Running has opened doors for me that not many people can get the opportunity to do. Yes, I train and work hard for my success, but I’m really grateful and fortunate for it also. Running is a huge factor in where I am today as a determined, successful, and of course friendly student athlete. I don’t think I would be nearly the person I am today without running.”