• Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

Boys soccer ties St. Mary’s

Dawn Enos
(from left) Domenic Paone, Gino Tripoli, and Andrew Fahim celebrate an early game goal.

While the Gloucester boys soccer team still remains undefeated in their 2023 season, the boys got their first tie on September 25th 1-1 against St. Mary’s.

The first and only Gloucester goal of the game was scored on a penalty shot by Captain Gino Tripoli during the first half. Tripoli and co-captains Domenic Paone and Brendan Anderson all played great games, with all three players making many shots on the net. Wesdra Silva played strongly as well. 

Dylan Smith and Cole Ciolino made saves at the line, fighting off multiple St. Mary’s players. The defense for the Fisherman was a strong force against the Spartans. Captains Leo Vitale and Benjamin Watts were both beasts in front of goalie Stefano Numerosi, who only saw a few shots. Numerosi made some important blocks for the Fisherman, with a catch on a high shot. 

The two teams were in a constant battle for the ball throughout the game. Unfortunately for the Fisherman, the vigilant Spartans tied it up late in the second half. After that, the team couldn’t bounce back with another goal, despite multiple breakaways and shots. The Spartan back line was vigilant, defending the goal with their lives. 

The referees weren’t calling deliberate penalties for the team, angering Gloucester players. The student section for Gloucester also got a warning for bullying St. Mary’s players, which resulted in a free kick against Gloucester. 

“We could’ve played way better. We had a lot of chances we could’ve taken.” Paone said after the game. “But we have Salem on Thursday. We gotta bring our all for them.” The Fishermen are now 6-0-1 with the Witches in Salem Thursday afternoon.