The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Don't forget your summer reading! https://ghsreads01930.weebly.com/
  • Graduation June 9th, 4:00 p.m. Newell Stadium
  • Final exams 6/11 - 6/13

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

No magic here: Field hockey beats Marblehead 8-0

Dawn Enos
(from left) Lily Pregent and Ella Costa mid-game.

The Marblehead Magicians certainly couldn’t pull any tricks out of their sleeve on September 14th, after getting destroyed by the Fishermen 8-0. 

Lily Pregent started off the game with a good shot on the Marblehead goalie. A few minutes later Gloucester scored, but the referee called it off. Captain Abby Lowthers had a great stop to prevent the ball from getting to the Gloucester goal. Gloucester got a defensive corner after that, but the team easily got it out of the circle. Lexi Carollo blocked a ball on Gloucester’s side so Joie Cody could drive it up the side. Cody was aggressive for the entire game, blocking shots and stopping plays. Captain Ella Costa took a pass up from Carollo which ended in an offensive corner. While it didn’t go Gloucester’s way, the team easily scored soon after. Pregent scored with 4 minutes left in the 1st quarter, with Costa assisting. 

Captain Ari Scola had a block at the line, which a Marblehead girl pushed out of bounds. Pregent had a good shot on the net before Gloucester got two offensive corners in a row. Lowthers scored with 13:57 left in the 2nd. Right after yet another offensive corner, Costa scored off a pass from Lily. Carollo executed a great back pass up the side of the field before Gloucester had three offensive corners. Costa scored again within 4 minutes off a pass from Scola to end the quarter. 

Starting off the quarter strong for the Fishermen, the Marblehead goalie got a green card and Gloucester got a stroke. The Marblehead goalie flung herself into one of Gloucester’s forwards, preventing her from scoring. Pregent took the shot for the Fishermen and easily scored in the top left corner in the 14th minute. 

The last three goals that secured the win were one goal from Lowthers and two goals from Pregent, who had one of her goals assisted by Cinelli.

The team moves to 3-1 for the season and will play an away game versus Peabody on Tuesday.