• Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

GHS Theater hosts state-wide theater festival

Lexi Thomas
The main characters of Little Women pose for a photoshoot, from left: Sean Buckley, Aurelia Harrison, Malia Andrews, Emma Alves, Melody Mattson, and Finn Wall

This upcoming March 2nd, the Massachusetts Educational Theater Guild is hosting its annual competition, the METG Theater Celebration Festival. And after years of submitting our name, Gloucester High School is billed to host.

GHS Drama Program will be putting on a shorter version of their fall play “Little Women”, which they performed on stage last November. It will feature the same cast, crew, props and costumes, and a slightly modified set to make space for the other schools.

Gloucester will be up against 5 other schools: The Clark School, Groton-Dunstable High School, Hudson High School, Needham High School, St. Sebastian’s School, and The Newman School, each bringing a play of their own.

GHS will be hosting on Saturday, March 2nd, with a snow date the next day. The event will run all day, from 7am to 10pm, and will be open to the public to support youth theater arts, with no entry fee.

For GHS theater students, this event is an opportunity to learn leadership skills, as students are going to be guiding the other schools, helping them set up the technical aspects of their shows, and preparing the schools to host schools from across the state.

Last year, the GHS theater program won a number of awards at the festival for their version of Shakespeare’s classic comedy “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, and hope to bring a similar energy to this year’s event.