• Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

Sawyer Free Library to celebrate groundbreaking with Lego event

Graphic+courtesy+of+the+Gloucester+Lyceum+and+Sawyer+Free+Library+
Graphic courtesy of the Gloucester Lyceum and Sawyer Free Library

Lego and library fans, mark your calendars! Our local Sawyer Free Library is going to be holding ‘Lets Build Together’, a Lego event to celebrate the groundbreaking of the new and modern library building.

The event will be held this upcoming Saturday, September 16th, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at 20 Main Street, directly across from the current temporary location of the library. The event will be co-hosted by the LEGO Discovery Center Boston, and will bring together enthusiasts, families, and Lego lovers from around Cape Ann for a morning filled with creativity and community spirit, and to promote and share love for the library and it’s future.

The event is free and open to individuals of any age or skill level. Highlights include the opportunity to create reading-inspired builds with an official Lego Master Model Builder from the LEGO Discovery Center Boston, display of a specially designed Sawyer Free Library Lego model made from over 1,000 bricks, plentiful other Lego models, photo-ops with LEGO Minifigure characters, face painting, and a musical performance by Gloucester’s own youth rock band, “Kicked off the Bus”.

Alongside the Lego-based festivities, attendees will be able to get a sneak peek at the 2025 Sawyer Free Library project. The library says the new remodel will provide a welcoming and inclusive environment, offering cutting-edge technology, diverse collections, engaging programs, and dedicated spaces for collaboration, learning, and relaxation.

“We are so thrilled to host this LEGO event and bring expert model builders to our community for a morning of creativity and fun,” said Jenny Benedict, director of the Sawyer Free Library. “’Let’s Build Together’ is a celebration of the bright future of the 2025 Sawyer Free Library where we will continue to foster education, imagination, and connections for all – knowing that, ‘Brick by Brick,’ our great community is building our new beautiful Library together.”

The 2025 Sawyer Free Library groundbreaking celebration is scheduled to take place on Friday, September 29, from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. at 2 Dale Avenue in Gloucester, taking place rain or shine in the tented parking lot. The ceremony marks the start of the project to completely remodel the library’s 1913 and 1976 buildings, and further expand the library with a 14,000-square-foot addition. This event will be free and open to all.

To learn more about the Sawyer Free Library’s Community Lego Event or the 2025 Sawyer Free Library Groundbreaking Celebration, visit sawyerfreelibrary.org.