Seniors will get a drive in celebration in June,  in-person graduation scheduled for August

Silhouettes+of+students+with+graduate+caps+in+a+row+on+sunset+background.+

Delphotostock

Silhouettes of students with graduate caps in a row on sunset background.

DANIELLE DENMAN, Staff Writer

On June 21st, O’Maley parking lot will be turned into a drive-in theater for GHS graduates and their families to watch  “A Celebration of the Class of 2020” 

“We are partnering with Studio 1623 to create the video, including speeches by students and officials, key elements of our traditional graduation ceremony, a few new elements, and most importantly images of the Class of 2020,” said GHS Principal James Cook in an email to students and families. 

Due to overwhelming interest from students and families, an  in-person graduation ceremony has been scheduled for Sunday, August 2nd.   

“The senior class officers and student council executive board officers have been tremendous to work with on this,” said Cook. “Virtual meetings with them have been a highlight of school closure.”

At this point, officials don’t know exactly what the ceremony will look like, or who will be able to attend.  “We will continue to work closely with city officials to abide by state and local guidelines for keeping you and your children safe during the global Covid-19 pandemic,”  Cook wrote. 

He also said “we will share a Senior Awards Night video with families on Friday, June 19. In the meantime, scholarship committees will contact award winners directly.”