Indoor track team shows promise at Freshmen-Sophomore meet

David Coleman

The GHS Freshman-Sophomore track team at Beverly High

ANDREW COELHO and NICHOLAS POULIN

After an impressive first meet of the season in Beverly, the GHS Track Team headed back to Beverly on December 21st, 2019 to compete in the Northeastern Conference Freshman-Sophomore meet. 

On the boys side, there were four individual performers who placed along with one relay team. The 4×400 relay team of Allan Segura, Daniel Hafey, Tommy Elliott, Andrew Coelho placed 2nd with a time of 4:07.

In the 600m dash, there were three runners from Gloucester in the top six. Hafey placed 5th with a time of 1:42 along with Elliott who placed 4th with a time of 1:41. Coelho was the boys NEC Freshman Sophomore 600m Champion with a time of 1:35. In the 1 mile, Nick Poulin ran a time of 5:36 and placed 3rd.

For the girls, four individuals placed in their respective events along with a group performance that placed. Sophomore Ella Young competed in three events such as the high jump, 50-yard hurdle, and the 4×400 relay. In the high jump, Young jumped 4’6’’ which earned her the title of NEC Freshman-Sophomore High Jump champion. When running the 50-yard hurdle, Young finished fourth with a time of 9.5 seconds. 

For girls shot put, Jenna Hoofanagle threw for first place with a distance of 28’9’’ and Linda Toromo threw 26’1’’, placing third overall. In the one-thousand meter, Grace Boucher ran a 3:52 placing sixth overall.

On the girls side in the 4×400, Young, Boucher, Laci Bouchie, and Jenna Church collectively placed sixth overall with a time of 5:20. 

“The Freshman-Sophomore meet is a good opportunity for our young athletes to see how they stack up against their peers when they usually compete against varsity upperclassmen in most meets. We have a good young core and they showed a lot of promise on both sides, a couple of NEC Champions, and a lot of solid performances,” said head coach David Coleman. 

The GHS Track and Field team has its next meet on Friday and Saturday, January 10th  through the 11th at Reggie Lewis Center in Roxbury.