Gloucester Youth Leadership Council kick-off event

GYLC+invites+students+to+their+kick-off+event+this+Wednesday+night.+

Elise Amaral

GYLC invites students to their kick-off event this Wednesday night.

ELISE AMARAL, Staff Writer

The Gloucester Youth Council is rebranding as the Gloucester Youth Leadership Council with new leadership and big plans.

To recruit new members and promote awareness, the GYLC will hold a kick-off event Wednesday night, with games, raffles and prizes. There will be therapy dogs to visit, free food and a chance to win some airpods. 

“The goal of the group is to create social change around issues that impact teen health, “ said Jess Scola, Youth Development Coordinator. “Which could mean things like changing actual city policies through civil action, raising awareness about important issues in the community or creating fun activities and events for young people.”

Sophomore Maria Oliveira has been planning and publicizing the event to keep youth active in the community “We’re trying to create another protective factor for youth who don’t have something to do, or something good to do,” said Oliveira. “We’re just trying to create something new and fun in Gloucester.” 

The Gloucester Youth Leadership Council is now run by Scola, Amy Beth Epstein and Chloe Woods. Currently there are five students on the council, and they are looking for new members. 

Student interested in serving on GYLC will need to fill out an application and ask an adult to nominate them. The group is not exclusive to Gloucester High School students. 

The GYLC is an opportunity for students to earn  community service hours, and be active within the Gloucester community. The GYLC is planning various social justice trainings as well to educate and involve the community’s youth. 

“We hope that GHS students will come check out our kick-off,” said Scola. “And get an idea of the cool opportunities the GYLC has in store for the teens in the community this year.” 

IF YOU GO: 

WHAT: Gloucester Youth Leadership Council Kick-off Event

WHEN: Wednesday, October 9th 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. 

WHERE: 123 Main St., Gloucester, MA

COST: FREE

For  more information on GYLC email Jess Scola at [email protected] or Maria Olivera at [email protected] .