GHS boys soccer remains undefeated 


Dawn Enos

Owen Hardy celebrates his first goal of the season which put Gloucester in the lead against Beverly.

The GHS boys soccer team improved its impressive run this week. With a win and a tie this week, this moves them to first place in the NEC North. 

On Tuesday the team had their second away game of the season as they traveled to Danvers High to face their bitter rivals. 

Danvers played some strong defense and looked promising in the first five minutes of the game until Coach Armando decided to switch to man-to-man defense. This tactic change shutdown Danvers’ offense and allowed Gloucester to use their strong counter attacking play.

Their attack opened up the scoring when Captain Suazo scored late into the first half to put them up 1-0 before the half time whistle. 

Suazo doubled the lead early into the second half when he grabbed his 4th goal of the season. Gloucester stayed on the front foot and didn’t slow down. 

Andrew Coelho scored the 3rd goal off a rebound from a good shot by the freshman Kayky Barbosa. Coelho scored his second goal of the night off a well placed header. 

After a successful 4-0 win against Danvers, Gloucester hosted Beverly High on Thursday. 

Beverly is a very strong opponent and this showed when they scored a very early goal. Five minutes later when Coelho went down in the box, the ref called for a penalty kick. Suazo shot it into the bottom left corner to tie game. Beverly didn’t back off and didn’t let Gloucester hold the lead for long as that made it 2-1. This became a very intense game when Suazo made it 2-2 on another solo run.

With minutes left in the second half, Suazo took it down line and played it across to Owen Hardy who tapped it in to put Gloucester in the lead for the first time.

Going into the half at 3-2 the game was looking good for Gloucester but the tables turned when Beverly scored two goals in the span of 2 minutes. Beverly took the lead back instantly and went from trailing to winning. 

With Gloucester trailing 4-3 for most of the second half, they fought through the whole second half in order to remain undefeated. They were looking hopeless, until Suazo scored his third goal of the night with less than three minutes left in the game. The stadium went wild in this 8 goal game thriller. 

Gloucester improved their record to 3-0-1 as they move to the top of their conference and remain undefeated. 

The team plays its next game at Newell Stadium this Saturday at 2:00 where they play Saugus. Saugus will be their first opponent who are also in Division 3 and will be an important game that will count towards playoffs