Cross country team readies for new season

Martin Del Vecchio

Cross Country team gets ready to start

NICHOLAS POULIN, Staff Writer

The future of the GHS cross country team is prepared for the new season with a new coach, veteran talent, and incoming freshman. Austin Souza, a math teacher at O’Maley Middle School will return to coach the team.

The team consists of seven boys and two girls, Cody Clifford (Senior), Harry Pelosi (Junior), Kyle Clifford (Sophomore), Nick Poulin (Sophomore), Max Littman (Freshman), Sam Ashwell (Freshman), Michael Francis (Freshman), Kayla Pennimpede (Senior), and Lillie Favazza (Senior). This small but ambitious team looks to compete against division rivals where their size can be upwards to 50 runners. 

Captain Cody Clifford is in the midst of his fourth and final season with the team and has high hopes for the team. Clifford leads the team with humbleness and selflessness.

“I try not to think about myself as captain too much, because I feel much more comfortable being a part of a team rather than leading,” said Clifford. 

On Wednesday, September 3rd, the GHS Cross Country team took on the defending Northeastern Conference champions, Peabody, at Stage Fort Park in Gloucester for their first meet of the 2019 season. 

The top two performers for the Fishermen were Freshman Max Littman finishing in 13th and  Harry Pelosi finishing in 14th with times of 19:13 and 19:31. 

Peabody swept the Fishermen in all categories. Despite the loss, the team is optimistic because of the right aspects of talent, teamwork, and discipline.