Garden program takes root

Leslie Beaulieu

Rachael Shahin at the gardens.

LAUREN BENCHOFF, Staff Writer

This year, aspiring chefs at G.H.S. have access to fresh local vegetables, grown right here in our own backyard. With generous grants from the Gloucester Education Foundation and Backyard Growers, G.H.S. students from the environmental club and culinary arts, have created a beautiful garden behind the culinary classroom.

Since last spring, students have been growing vegetables and herbs to be used in the culinary arts program. The garden is used to teach students how to grow and produce their own fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

“It gives us the capability to teach how food eventually ends up on the table,” said culinary arts teacher Chef Patrick Reardon. “We made pizza sauce from the tomatoes we grew yesterday.”

The culinary class is not the only classroom to benefit from the garden.  “I have used it for my AP class to teach about “Omnivore’s Dilemma,” said GHS English teacher and e-club adviser Mr. James Cook

The vegetables that were grown over the summer were also donated the Open Door food pantry. Bags of lettuce were donated as well as 94 lbs of various vegetables like squash, zucchini, broccoli, and cucumbers.

Deliveries were also made to teachers of Gloucester Public Schools containing summer squash and broccoli. Vegetables that were not used or given away, were canned for future use.

GHS environmental club member Rachael Shahin worked on the garden all summer.  “The garden is always a work in progress. We are always planting and replanting,” said Shahin.  “This club is an amazing program that leaves you satisfied because you get to watch your results grow.”

For more information on the garden and e-club vist: http://ghseclub.blogspot.com/