GHS junior wins gingerbread house contest

Emily and Lynne Frick’s winning gingerbread-church

WILLA BROSNIHAN, Staff Writer

A ‘Mamma Mia!’ themed gingerbread house made by GHS student Emily Frick and her mother Lynne Frick has placed first in the annual Middle Street Walk gingerbread house contest.

The mother-daughter duo has submitted to the contest in the past. “We’ve done it for as long as I can remember honestly,” said Emily Frick. “We didn’t last year and we were disappointed that we didn’t, so we decided to start again.”

The gingerbread house is a copy of the Greek church from the movie, and was made as a promotion for Gloucester High School’s spring musical. Frick hopes the wider Gloucester community will attend the ABBA-filled show. “Come see it,” said Frick. “April fourth, fifth and sixth.”

The gingerbread house features a rice-krispy treat island in a sea of blue jello. The gingerbread house placed first due to its originality, says judge Barbara Catalini of “Cakes by Barbara.” “The rice krispies are a lot of work,” said Catalini, “And it was original. They did such a good job creating it. Everything is edible.”

Winners are chosen based on the degree of difficulty and creativity, neatness, originality, uses of edible confections and decorations, and workmanship. The “Best in Show” winner was a gingerbread mansion made by Gloucester resident Cindy Glàzier with a peek-through window that revealed a holiday scene within.