Hamlette and Mmmbeth take stage this weekend

Jessica Ruggles

“Mmmbeth” cast at their first dress rehearsal

MADISON LAING, Staff Writer

Do you remember reading, or look forward to reading “Hamlet” and “Macbeth” in English class? The GHS Theater program will be putting on their production of Hamlette and Mmmbeth this week.

Hamlette is a comedic take on Shakespeare’s Hamlet. This gender-bent version of Hamlet is sure to give you a laugh. The Hamlette cast consists of 5 actors that portray 14 different characters. Mmmbeth is a new spin on the Scottish play, where everything goes wrong. Lady Mmmbeth is bloodthirsty, Queen Duncan refuses to die, and the witches take over. 

Mmmbeth cast sits down for the Banquet scene.

“Everyone will enjoy these shows,” said Marisa Orlando, who plays Mmmbeth. “Most people read both plays during high school. Seeing these shows can help those who don’t understand the original Shakespeare shows. There is comedy that can entertain kids, adults, and die hard Shakespeare fans.”

The fall play is a few weeks early this year. The cast and crew has been rehearsing since school started.

“Considering our time crunch, the set came together really well and the subtle differences between the sets allow the audience to be transported into each world.” said Orlando.

Hamlette cast rehearses on stage.

Freshman Lucas Brisbois who plays Polonius and Ghost in Hamlette said “I feel as a cast we have great chemistry and we work really well together. Being my first show, I don’t think I could’ve had a better experience.”

IF YOU GO
WHAT? Hamlette and Mmmbeth
WHEN? Thursday October 25th 7:00pm, Friday October 26th 7:00pm, Saturday October 27th- matinee 1:00pm & evening show 7:00pm
WHERE? GHS Putney Auditorium
HOW MUCH? Tickets are $8 for adults, $5 for students, staff and seniors.

You can buy tickets online at: https://gloucesterhighdrama.blogspot.com/p/tickets.html

Hamlette cast runs acting drills to prepare for the show