Semi-formal attendees required to take school-provided transportation

ALEXANDER OAKS, Editor in Chief

On Monday, November 5th, the Class of 2019 and their guests will celebrate Semi-formal, an annual dance for the senior class held every Fall.  However, there is one major difference this year. Students will be required to take school-provided transportation to and from the event.

In past years, students were given the opportunity to take party buses or limousines to Semi-formal and Prom events. 

“We understand that this is a different route than classes before, but in making the decision to have the buses included as part of your ticket, we have made it an inclusive event for all students of GHS class of 2019 and their guests,” said senior class adviser and health teacher Ms. Francis.

Each ticket to Semi-formal costs $70 and includes the price of transportation. The buses will board at GHS on November 5th at 5:15 PM and depart from the school at 5:30.

“We have reserved plenty of buses to ensure everyone will have a seat,” said Francis, “You can reserve your seats together as a group […] we are capping each bus at 52 students.”

Once the initial two buses are filled, others will be added. As usual, students will be subject to searches if questionable by any chaperone or if they bring handbags. Students will also undergo a breathalyzer test before entering the event and when leaving the event.

Not all students agree with the decision, however.

“I feel like we had no say in what was being done. We weren’t given any alternatives and the discussion wasn’t opened up to us in order to come up with solutions for the problem,” said senior Sophia Cecilio.

It is unclear whether or not this bus policy will apply to Prom as well.

Tickets for Semi-formal will be sold at both lunches. Class dues must be paid in full before tickets can be purchased. 

IF YOU GO

WHAT: Semi-Formal

WHEN:  Monday, November 5th

WHERE: Ipswich Country  Club

HOW MUCH: $70.00