Last day to register to vote in the midterm elections

DANIELLE DENMAN, Staff Writer

Today, October 17th, is the last day to register to vote for this year’s midterm elections.

To register to vote, students who are 18 years or older, can visit City Hall to fill out a voting registration form. It takes only minutes to complete. There is also an option to register online. Online voting registration is open until 11:59pm.

For this year’s elections, some candidates include current Governor Charlie Baker (R) and Jay Gonzalez (D) competing for Governor of Massachusetts, and current Senator Elizabeth Warren (D) facing Geoff Diehl (R).  

GHS biology teacher Eric Leigh, who has helped four students register and six students pre-register, believes that voting is important for people of all ages.

“The future for students will come primarily from their own actions,” said Leigh. “But until they’re old enough to run for office themselves they need to elect representatives they support.”

The are also three ballot questions to consider. Question 1 proposes limits on patient to nurse ratios. Question 2 proposes to create a commission to consider amendments to the U.S. Constitution to establish that corporations do not have the same constitutional rights as human beings. Question 3 addresses transgender protections in public spaces.

Check out next week’s edition of The Gillnetter for a more in-depth explanation of the ballot questions.

To register to vote online, visit this website:

https://www.sec.state.ma.us/OVR/Welcome.aspx