• April 22Girls Varsity Tennis has a game against Marblehead at GHS on Wednesday, April 24th at 4:30pm

• April 22Boys Varsity Tennis has a game against Marblehead at Seaside Park, Marblehead on Wednesday, April 24th at 4pm

• April 2Girls Varsity Softball has a game against Marblehead at GHS on Wednesday, April 24th at 4:30pm

• March 31Boys Varsity Lacrosse has a game against Danvers at Danvers High School on Wednesday, April 24th at 6pm

• March 25Boys Varsity Baseball has a game against Marblehead at Seaside Park, Marblehead on Wednesday, April 24th at 4pm

• March 25Girls Varsity Lacrosse has a game against Revere at GHS on Tuesday, April 23th at 4pm

Unis comes home to “give back”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Unis comes home to “give back”

Jim Unis: the new Physical Education teacher at GHS

JESSE ALEXANDER, Staff Writer

Gloucester High School alumnus, and Hall of Famer, Jim Unis has a simple answer for those who ask why he’s returned to his former high school to teach Physical Education.

I love this city, I love this school and I love the people who make it up,” he said.  

Unis, a 2002 Gloucester High graduate, was an athletic standout in his time at GHS. An All American in both football and track, he was recruited by every Ivy League and Division One college in the country. Unis placed sixth at nationals for discus his junior year of high school, and went on to Boston College for both football and track, until an injury sidelined his football career in his second season.   

After earning his graduate degree in education, Unis taught history, physical education and health for seven years. He then managed a non-profit organization working with juvenile defenders and gang involved youth for four years.

“It is a homecoming of sorts. The feeling for me personally is so special,” said Unis. “My professional career is so unique. It’s good to be able to use what I’ve learned and give it back to the place that gave me so much.”

Unis will be teaching three sections of Competitive Games, and two sections of Yoga.

“I hope I can bring a passion and a love for the students, and for this community, and for healthy and fit living,” he said.

Another, somewhat overlooked, aspect of Unis’ high school career was his involvement in the school drama club. He learned to sing at GHS and played the lead in the musical The Wiz.

“I always loved sports, but I always loved the expressive arts in addition to athletics,” said Unis. “But it was at GHS, specifically under the teaching of Ms. Trigilio, that it took on a different life, a public life.”

Unis is enthusiastic about his new place at GHS, and is ready to take on this role. He is excited to be working in a place that was with him in the early stages of his career.

“Gloucester has been and always will be a place special and dear to my heart.” he said.