GHS baseball alumni game to raise money for cancer patient

May 23rd's GHS baseball alumni game will raise money for Will Bren, a four year old from Gloucester battling stage four Wilms cancer

CAROLINE ENOS, Staff Writer, Editor

Did you play GHS baseball in high school? Do you want the chance to play with your former teammates and other GHS baseball alumni while raising money for a good cause? If so, here’s your chance to revisit the good old days.

Any former GHS baseball player can register to play in an alumni game under the lights at Nate Ross Field on May 23rd. Batting practice starts at 5:30 PM while the game starts at 6:30 PM, and player registration will be open through tomorrow night. All of the money raised from the game will go to Will Bren, a four year old from Gloucester who is battling Stage four Wilms cancer.

“We recently heard about Will’s situation and noticed the community support, especially from the Gloucester Little League, and we wanted to do whatever possible to support Will and his family at this time,” said GHS baseball head coach Bryan Lafata.

According to GHS baseball assistant coach Rory Gentile, Will’s connection to Gloucester Little League through his older brother, a current GLL player, has “sparked the #strongWILLed movement, which is bringing attention to Will’s fight, as well as raising money for the family in various ways.”

“The game itself will be, if nothing else, a reminder that we are all reliving the glory days,” continued Gentile. “For those attending the game as fans, there will be a raffle and concession stand and donations will go to Will’s family.”

Many GHS baseball alumni have already signed up to play or donated to the cause, including players who have gone on to play in college, who have played professionally, and who are featured in the GHS Athletics Hall of Fame.

“This is the first alumni game in recent history,” said Lafata. “In my 5 years as the Head Coach at GHS, we have not held an alumni game, but always discussed the great tradition the Baseball Program has had, and it would be great to get some of the former players back to play in a fun game. Having the opportunity to make it a fundraiser currently pushed us even more to get this game played this year, and hopefully every year from here on out.”

A wiffle ball tournament fundraiser will also be held on June 24th, and community members are encouraged to attend both events to support Will.

“We are too frequently reminded, both fortunately and unfortunately, how amazing Gloucester is when a member of our community experiences tragedy or difficult times,” said Gentile. “I am confident that Gloucester will again come through and support Will and his family through his fight.”

To sign up to play, contact head coach Bryan Lafata at 978-578-1067 or bryan@legendsbaseball.net by Thursday, May 17th.

Janelle Puopolo
The 2018 GHS baseball team with Will Bren, a four year old from Gloucester who is battling stage four Wilms cancer