Students thank teachers with appreciation lunch

Soo Ae Ono

GHS Student Council and National Honor Society members held an appreciation lunch for teachers on the last half day

JESSE ALEXANDER, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, March 6th, the Gloucester High School National Honors Society and Student Council held a teacher appreciation luncheon in the cafeteria.

Each NHS and STUCO member pitched in three dollars- or six dollars if they were in both- to buy a wide variety of different foods. Eleven different businesses donated to the cause as well; Jalapenos, Virgilio’s, Sclafani’s, Cape Ann Savings Bank, Cafe Bishco, Cafe Sicilia, Mike’s Place, Tacos Lupita, Azorean, Captain Hooks, and Russell’s Florist.

The teachers were served and waited on by students, who even carried around trash bags for their waste. The students also put on a Hawaiian tropical theme, and decorated the entire cafeteria.

After the teachers were served, students were able to walk around and mingle with them, showing appreciation for all they do.

History teacher Philip Cook was pleased by the variety of food.

“There was a lot of options for someone who eats food often.” said Cook, “There was also some dairy free options, which was good because I don’t consume dairy.”

Student Council member Brandon Smith participated in the event.

“I was happy to give back to my teachers, and it was really fun to get to know them on a more personal level,” said Smith,  “I also found out that we bought 56 pizzas, which is crazy.”

Teachers were thankful for the event, which was in place of the “Secret Pals” event from years prior. Students would be assigned a teacher- or a “Secret Pal”-  to do kind acts for throughout the span of a week.

“I thought it was great, I saw the email and it was surprising to me,” said Cook about the luncheon, who also appreciated that students paid for the food. “It was a really nice thing.”