Tournament loss wraps up boys basketball season

A+rebound+attempt+by+Gloucester+against+Peabody+in+a+regular+season+game+

Cassandra Sanchez

A rebound attempt by Gloucester against Peabody in a regular season game

VIDRIANA CATANZARO, Staff Writer

The Gloucester Fishermen’s season ended in their 54-64 loss on Tuesday night to the number two seed, the Arlington Spy Ponders.

Going into the game, Gloucester’s game plan was to limit Arlington’s strong athletic players from getting the ball on the high post and preventing them from driving. Gloucester had a few lapses to this plan, but overall, executed what they were trying to do.

“The guys didn’t quit, they kept fighting,” said Gloucester head coach Khris Silveira. “They really gave it everything they had.”

But even with Gloucester’s plan, Arlington had good fundamentals all around and were able to keep control of the game.

Gloucester, with their small bench, had trouble combating with the strong subs Arlington put in.

“Everybody that rolled in was just an extension of the guy that they subbed in for,” said Silveria. “I think we did get a little worn down later in the game.”

This season, Gloucester battled with injuries and had their toughest part of their schedule in the middle of the season. Despite the challenge, the team came from behind in some games to pull out with wins, never giving up.

“It was a good season overall,” said Senior Captain Matt Smith. “We had our ups and downs but stuck together regardless of the situation. It was an honor to lead this team.”

Even though their season ended and they will lose some valuable seniors, returning next year are three of this season’s starting five, Junior Captain Ben Oliver, Junior Marc Smith, and Sophomore Marcus Montagnino.

“A lot of the guys did see things they need to work on,” said Silveria. “It’d be nice to get a home game next year.”