Girls hockey midseason review

Jason Grow

Jesse Alexander of Gloucester successfully defends the net.

JESSE ALEXANDER, Staff Writer

The GHS Girls Hockey Team is sliding into their second season stronger than ever.

The girls have played four games including one annual alumni game. The first game of the season was away against Groton. The girls won 4-0 with three goals from junior Bailey Marshall, one goal from junior Marisa Orlando, and a great game played by Rockport 9th grader Rachel Daily. The other two home games were against York Maine and Bishop Fenwick, which were unfortunately losses. (0-5, and 0-8, respectively).

Returning players, senior captain Bella Ciluffo, junior captain Jesse Alexander, and Rockport junior, Eliza Nugent held the defensive line. Returning offenders, senior captain Zoe Venetsanakos, Bailey Marshall, and freshman Kaylee Burgess led the forward.

Gloucester has had its obstacles, with senior captain Elizabeth Luster out with injury, and Anna Zerelli moving to a new school, not to mention all the cancellations due to the weather. However the girls continue to push through.

“This season I have been able to push the girls because I know they are capable of becoming a varsity team,” said returning head coach, Brittney Devlin. “They have the dedication and willpower to grow individually and as a group. We have a strong defensive team. We are building a strong offensive team.”

Although this season has already had some tough losses, Gloucester is still a new team, and is continuing to play to the best of their ability against opponents. After nine seniors left last year, the team is still recruiting players.

Devlin also plans to make next year’s team Varsity, which she hopes would add more funding and players to the roster.

“I look forward to next season we can work hard and have fun at the same time,” said Devlin. “I encourage any girls wanting to join our team! The goal is to keep building the girls ice hockey program to give players opportunities!”