GHS Cheerleaders win State Championship

GHS Cheerleaders pose with their State Championship trophy.

SARAH WHITMORE, Staff Writer

Tears of joy streamed down the faces of the Gloucester High School Varsity Cheerleaders at Worcester State University on Sunday, November 19, as they were crowned first place in the Co-Ed Small Division at the Massachusetts State Championship.

Captain Jillian Gross noted, “We have had by far the craziest season with lots of unfortunate events within the team.”

Yet, the team was able to overcome these setbacks, working towards their shared goal of a championship.

“The team knew how to come together and overcome these obstacles as being a state champion has been a lifetime dream for so many of us,” said Gross.

And for the first time since 2010, the passion the team put into their sport lead them to their ultimate success.

“The fact that we achieved that, this past weekend, is overwhelming to say the least,” said Gross, “but it was very well deserved.”

The community couldn’t agree more as they cheered on the students at their competition. Returning home the team was escorted by the police back into Gloucester for celebration of this success and all of the work put in behind the scenes of the title the team now possesses.

As the city and the team celebrates, we are all eager to see what the continued winter season might bring for the cheerleaders.