Girls soccer tourney bound for first time in six years

GHS Girls Soccer

GHS girls soccer team celebrates qualifying for the state tournament

JESSE ALEXANDER, Staff Writer

After an eventful few games, Gloucester girls soccer team finally made the playoffs. The girls haven’t made the tournament since 2012.

After beating Salem on Tuesday the 17th, 2-1, the girls only had to receive one more point in order to make it into the tournament (a team receives one point for every tie, and two points for every win).  

By doing this, this team would accomplish what six years worth of teams could not. This game meant the girls had to bring their best, and put all they had onto the field.

“I’m really excited for the team, we’ve worked hard all season. I think it’s awesome that the team qualified for the tournament this year and it’s exciting for the them especially since it’s the last time they qualified since 2012,” said Varsity Head Coach Jessica Boardway.

Keeping this in mind, the team had to either beat or tie Everett in the following game to qualify.

The game against Everett on Thursday night was played very well by Gloucester. The girls ended up winning 3-0, with goalie, Maisie Grow receiving a shutout.

“Last night was a big game for us as a team. We really pulled together and had our mind set on making the tournament and we followed through in our play. It was so rewarding to see all of our hard work pay off, and it is a dream come true for me to finally be playing in the tournament my senior year,” said Captain Caroline King.

In the first half, Captain Kaitlin Marques scored the first goal of the game, and later on in that half eighth-grader Darcy Muller scored another, keeping Gloucester up by two.

King held the defensive line along with freshman Rumi Thomas. At the end of the second half, senior Whitney Schrock scored the last and final goal to end the game at 3-0.

Everett brought a strong game and effort, but Gloucester took the win in the end, receiving the one point needed to move on to the tournament.

“I’m looking forward to keep improving individually and as a group and am so excited to be tourney bound,” said King.

Gloucester’s next game is Monday, October 23rd at 6:30 against Winthrop at Newell. Come and support the seniors on their Senior Night.