“To Kill a Mockingbird” comes to life at Gloucester Stage

MARISA ORLANDO, Staff Writer

Struggling to understand “To Kill a Mockingbird” for English class, can’t illegally download the movie online, or just don’t want to read the book? Gloucester Stage Company has you covered.

This weekend, the actors and production team at Gloucester Stage will be using the power of live theatre to present the classic piece of American literature “To Kill a Mockingbird,” by Harper Lee.

The show explores racism and civil rights in the south as seen from the perspective of 10 year old Scout Finch, played by Carly Williams.  Atticus Finch, played by Lewis D. Wheeler, struggles to prove the innocence of an accused rapist in an unjust trial as he tries to teach his children lessons about racism, innocence, and good versus evil.  The story is brought to life by director Judy Braha.

“Audiences can expect a light hearted, loving, classic play that can be easily turned into a suspenseful on-the-edge-of-your-seat performance,” said Nate Oaks, a Gloucester native and O’Maley student who plays Jem Finch.   

This is Oaks’s first professional show, and he is excited to show the community what he has got to offer.

“I’ve only done school or community plays, so when I take a lead this big it is life changing,” said Oaks. “Three years ago I never thought I’d be here.”

Evening performances of the show will be on Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30pm starting October 6th through the 24th, and on Saturday October 28th.  Matinees will take place Saturdays and Sundays at 2:00pm throughout the show. Special 10:00am matinees will take place Wednesday and Thursday October 11th through 19th, Tuesday October 24th, and Friday October 27th.  

“Local Gloucester kids are performing and representing our city.  The story reminds us about equity and respect and I think we need that with times this hard,” said Oaks.

IF YOU GO

WHAT? To Kill a Mockingbird

WHEN? October 6-27, 2017

WHERE? Gorton Theatre

HOW MUCH? $15-$42

*Tickets can be purchased online at http://gloucesterstage.com/