Girls soccer off to a strong start

Caroline King defends home turf.

JESSE ALEXANDER, Staff Writer

The Gloucester girls soccer team is off to a great start after winning their first four conference games of the season, with only two losses. Senior Captain, Danielle Larrabee, says about the team, “We’ve been working really hard on our foot skills this year and it’s finally paying off.”

The new coach, GHS special education teacher Jessica Boardway, is doing a great job with the squad with returning JV coach, Caitlyn Nedde, who is also a special education teacher at West Parish Elementary School.

Boardway said about the season so far,

“We are off to a strong start this season. We had a big group of graduating seniors that gave a lot of players an opportunity to step up in new positions and and as leaders. There’s a lot of positive energy and everyday, and everyday we come to practice with a goal of improving.”

On Monday, September 11th, the girls soccer team faced Lynn English at GHS. They came out with a win of 2-0, both goals scored by eighth grader, Darcy Muller. Muller is an eighth grader from O’Maley Middle School who got a waiver signed from the MIAA enabling her to play at the varsity high school level.

In the defensive end, goalkeeper Maisie Grow made amazing saves guarding her net, and was able to keep Lynn English to a zero score. Grow’s shutout was aided by the help of defensive players Danielle Larrabee, Caroline King, Rebecca Dowd, Bernica Willcox, Elizabeth Schuster and Lillian Wood.

The second game of the week on September 13th, Gloucester won their first away game against Revere 2-1. The first goal was scored by Lauren Wood and the second was scored by Jesse Alexander.

Unfortunately, Gloucester lost one of their key players for the game, Danielle Larrabee, due to injury. Without Larrabee, freshman Rumi Thomas stepped up to fill the position.

The next two games were on September 15th and 19th against Salem and Everett. Gloucester won 2-1 against Salem. The other win against Everett, the girls won 5-0, with Senior Whitney Schrock, back on the field, scoring 2 out of the 5 goals scored.

Unfortunately, the girls lost their first conference game of the season on Monday, September 25th, at home against Malden, 1-0.

The team is off to a great season so far, and hope to do well in the near future. The girls will be playing Wednesday September 27th at 4:00 PM, away at Winthrop .