Boys soccer off to a promising start

JOE KIBANGO, Staff Writer

With a record of 3-2, the Gloucester boys soccer team is looking to improve their record and get on a winning run early in the season.

GHS’s home opener was against Marblehead at home, and the Magicians won 1-0. The loss didn’t seem to affect Armando’s team, however, as they picked up a home win soon after against the Saugus Sachems, 5-1 with plenty of goals, as Gloucester overwhelmed the Saugus back line.

With their record at .500, Gloucester traveled to the Manning Bowl in Lynn, where they would pick up a 3-0 win over the Lynn Classical Rams. The Fishermen scored 3 goals early in the first half, and the team’s quick attack seemed to surprise Lynn Classical, who had limited chances to score until late into the second half. However, Gloucester had set up their defense to withstand Classical’s counters. The Fishermen left Manning Bowl with 3 goals and 2 points, which are earned after every win. A tie results in 1 point.

Their next opponent was Malden, one of two teams who had recently moved to the Northeastern Conference. Gloucester and Malden started the game going back and forth in transitions, but ultimately Gloucester was able to pick up the first goal and gave Gloucester a short lead until Malden tied the game a few minutes later.

The two teams seemed to be evenly matched by the end of the first half with the score tied at 1-1 and entering the second half, until a goal by Malden minutes into the second half raised Malden’s confidence. This prevented Gloucester from possession and kept them on their heels with constant attacks from Malden’s versatile strikers. With what seemed like constant pressure from Malden, Gloucester was able to keep the game at 2-1 but left the opponent’s home field with a loss and no points.

After a tough loss to Malden, the Fishermen had the Salem Witches for the only game of week three of the Fishermen’s season. Gloucester hosted the Witches and were determined to end the game in a win to boost the squad’s confidence in preparation for Everett, another tough opponent.

Gloucester was quick to take charge of the game, scoring four goals in the first half of the game, but at a cost of a goal off a Salem penalty kick. The game ended with Gloucester walking away with a 4-1 win and almost a week in time to prepare until their next matchup.

Gloucester will be playing at home against Everett, Monday September 25th, at 7:00 P.M.