King joins GHS family

ALEXANDER OAKS, Staff Writer, Editor

After an abrupt faculty departure last year, the science department has a new friendly face occupying room 2403.

Mrs. Sheila King, a former 12-year teacher of the Newburyport High School Science Department, and a graduate of both Stony Brook University and Rutgers University, now teaches Biology, Life Science, and Ocean Studies to students of all grades at GHS. When asked about her favorite subject, King had this to say.

“I like Ocean Studies because we get to go outside and decide what we want to study about the ocean,” said King. “[Choosing a favorite subject] is like saying who is your favorite kid, because I can’t just pick one. I moved to this job to teach Biology because I love Biology.”

King teaches three sections of CP1 Biology, a class of CP2 Life Science, and a class of generalized CP Ocean Studies. She enjoys her job for many reasons.

“I love working with teenagers, and I love science,” said King.

In her first year here at Gloucester High, King hopes to become a part of both the school community and the general community of Gloucester.

King can often be found at the Italian restaurant Chianti, in Beverly, enjoying her favorite dish of scallops. She also enjoys classic rock, the author Anne Tyler, the TV Series “Call the Midwife,” visiting New York City, walking and bicycling, and playing or watching basketball.

King is excited to begin her time here, and wants students to understand she’s a lot like them.

“I want students to know that I’m growing alongside them.”