All you need to know about Spirit Week and Homecoming

Vidriana Catanzaro

The energy filled Fishbowl [fan section] cheers on Gloucester at last Friday’s football game

CAROLINE ENOS, Staff Writer, Editor

Spirit Week and the pep rally are integral parts of GHS’s back to school welcome for students. But with the second annual Homecoming football game on Friday, GHS welcomes a new tradition into its culture.

“We are trying to the get the community involved and celebrate past, present, and future students of Gloucester,” said Class of 2018 adviser Rayenne Menery. “Last year’s weather wasn’t great, so we would like to get a momentum started for Homecoming, which is the conclusion of Spirit Week.”

Homecoming will be celebrated at this Friday’s home game for the football team when the Fishermen will take on Sommerville. The night will celebrate Gloucester alumni of past classes, along with current students.

“We want alumni to be recognized in the stands and celebrate the crowning of our second annual Homecoming King and Queen at halftime,” said Menery. “We are also trying to get local businesses involved, perhaps offering discounts for alumni at their businesses after the game.”

Students will be able to vote for King and Queen at both lunches on Wednesday.

Homecoming will serve as the grand finale to GHS’s Spirit Week, and falls on the same day as the pep rally, which will take place Friday afternoon in the field house. Students of all grades will participate in games, cheers, and will strengthen school spirit for that night’s football game.

According to Menery, students of every grade should take part in Spirit Week. Dress up in any outfit pertaining to its assigned day, so long as it is appropriate. Students are also forbidden to use silly string or paint on school grounds.

Members of the community are also encouraged to wear a different themed outfits to every home game this year to show local unity. This week’s theme is fishing gear.

“We’re just trying to have a nice Spirit Week and unite the school,” said Menery.

Dress up days for spirit week

Monday- Pajama day

Tuesday- Twin day

Wednesday- Character day

Thursday- America day

Friday- Class color day

Freshmen- red

Sophomores- green

Juniors- blue

Seniors- black