The rundown on GHS XC

Lillie Favazza

GHS Cross Country team after the completion of their first meet.

SARAH WHITMORE, Staff Writer

After a long summer of relaxing, it’s time to jumpstart school festivities with athletics. This fall season brings an array of new coaches including the cross country coach, with a farewell to former long distance coach Austin Sousa and a welcome to post collegiate runner, Matt Carpenter.

His promise that “the first few weeks will be easy” was loosely enforced, as the girls team returns with the title of 2016 NEC Small Champions. In the coming season, the expectations remain from the coach and team alike.

“The boys are in a rebuilding year and the girls are expected to place very highly in the NEC,” said Carpenter.

While the boys team has not had the same luck in the previous year, it is expanding with promise, from three new freshman recruits and three returning members. While no captains have been announced yet, returning member include seniors: Lindsey Parisi, Sarah Whitmore, Rebecca Pollock, Jadyn Gentile, and Christina Jones, Juniors: Leah Rudolph and Aiden Cunningham, and Sophomores: Lillie Favazza and the newest member, Kayla Pennimpede on the girls team.

The boys team includes senior: Kory Hurd, juniors: Max Bouche and Tyler Cilluffo, sophomore: Cody Clifford, and freshman: Jack Fernandes and Mike Moffett on the boys team.

“It will be an exciting season,” said senior Christina Jones.

The season ahead looks hopeful as the team charges forward with intensive training and encouragement in preparation for their meet in Ravenswoods Park, September 15th at 4pm.