GHS welcomes McGlynn as new math teacher

Alexander Oaks

Amber McGlynn poses a smile in her new classroom.

ALEXANDER OAKS, Staff Writer, Editor

As one of the many new teachers at Gloucester High School this year, Amber McGlynn (formerly known as Ms. Paterson) hopes to have a successful tenure as a dynamic math teacher, teaching students Algebra 2

McGlynn teaches 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students out of room 3220. Even though she teaches Algebra 2 for a profession, McGlynn originally had love for other forms of arithmetic, preferring calculus over her current subject.

Before relocating to Gloucester, McGlynn lived in Everett and taught Precalculus, Calculus, and Trigonometry at the Saint Mary’s School in Lynn. Here at GHS, however, McGlynn is excited because of the way the math department collaborates and has good communication between staff members.

“I am excited to see how I can […] assimilate into the program.”

McGlynn was also a robotics club advisor at Saint Mary’s, and played basketball in her youth.

McGlynn’s favorite food is chicken broccoli & ziti, and her favorite music genre is alternative. Although she is a math teacher, McGlynn also loves the author Neil Gaiman and the Harry Potter movie series. In between napping and eating, her chosen pastimes, McGlynn can often be found at the Hale Street Tavern in Beverly.

McGlynn enjoys the TV show “Faceoff” and the clothing website modcloth.com. Her favorite vacation spot is Tahiti, an island in French Polynesia that she has fond memories of from visiting.

When asked about the most important thing McGlynn wanted students at GHS to know about her, she had this to say.

“I want students here to know that I want them to do well, and that I’m here for them. My door is always open.”