Girls lacrosse beats Salem Witches

Beth Anne Melvin

The girls pose after their first win of the season.

KATELYN MOORE, Staff Writer, Editor

The girls lacrosse team took home its first win of the season, triumphantly beating the Salem Witches with a score of 13-7. This was the first conference win of the season, making the team 1-0 in the NEC.

“We worked really well as a team,” said senior captain and goalie Lily Kuhns, “and we had really good placement of our shots.”

The first half started just as the rain did, but his did not distract the Fishermen. Senior captain and midfielder Callie O’Leary and senior midfielder Rachel Alexander worked together to get possession. Sophomore defensive midfielder Caroline O’Leary also played a key role in establishing possession in the first half.

“It was a really fun and very competitive game,” said Caroline O’Leary, “but we came out on top.”

In previous years, the Witches have been Gloucester’s rivals, either making or breaking the team’s chances for a conference title. This game, the Fishermen’s strong attack worked as one to get through Salem’s defense.

Seniors Maggie Destino and Rachel Alexander scored the first few goals of the game while junior Lizzie Luster and sophomores Ruby Melvin, Julia Kuhns, and Caroline Muniz each scored for a total of 13.

Despite Salem’s efforts, its attack could not break through Gloucester’s defense. Senior captain Julia Wood made several interceptions, turning possession over to Gloucester. All of Gloucester’s defense worked as one to stop as many shots as possible.

“What worked for us today was the double team on transitions [in the midfield] and not forcing anything.” said head coach Melanie Tobey. “Everyone worked as a team.”

Watch the girls in their second conference game against the Saugus Sachems at Stackpole Field next Tuesday, April 18 at 12:00pm.