Swim team dives into double victory

The+swim+team+smiles+for+a+photo+after+competing+at+the+Cape+Ann+YMCA+

Heather Adelfio

The swim team smiles for a photo after competing at the Cape Ann YMCA

KATELYN MOORE, Staff Writer, Editor

The GHS swim team brought home a senior night win against the Lynn English Bulldogs last Thursday, as well as a victory at Salem on Monday night.

“This is the best season so far,” said senior Jonathan Denman.

The Fishermen came out on top in all of the freestyle events on Thursday. As for individual events, Denman placed first in the 50 yard freestyle as well as the 100 yard freestyle. Senior Steven Moody also placed first in the 500 yard freestyle and the 100 yard butterfly.

“Steve consistently wins the 500 by a solid 20 yards,” said senior captain Owen Brown.

Brown set a personal record with his best performance of the season on Thursday in the diving competition.

“It’s a fun way to end my senior season,” said Brown.

The Fishermen also came out on top against the Salem Witches on Monday with a 90-86 win.

The team swept the 200 yard freestyle, with sophomore Calvin Spencer in first. Brown came in second followed by sophomore Tracy Wood in third.

Moody was also victorious at Monday’s meet in the 500 freestyle and 100 butterfly.

“It’s cool that we made GHS swim team history with the best record ever,” said Brown.

The Fishermen take on the Marblehead Magicians at the Lynch Van Otterloo YMCA next Tuesday, January 24 at 7. They will also be holding a fundraiser night at Jalapenos on Wednesday, January 25 from 5-9.