Hats for the Homeless brings warmth for those in need

DANIELLE DENMAN, Contributor

While we are in the midst of the holiday season, the cold weather is creeping upon us fast. Most of us won’t have to worry about having the proper clothes to keep us warm, but for some, that’s not the case. Often, the needs of homeless people go unnoticed. However, Gloucester High School student Sophia Hogan-Lopez has certainly not forgotten.

“The first thing I thought was food, but it was Thanksgiving, so there was plenty of food drives. Next I thought clothes, so with the cold weather coming I thought of this,” said Hogan-Lopez.

The GHS freshman has set up a drive to help keep these men and women snug. Hogan-Lopez is working with the Grace Center of Gloucester to collect hats, scarves, mittens, and gloves. She has been dropping them off at the Unitarian Universalist Church throughout the course of the drive.

The Grace Center provides a free daytime service place for any poor or homeless people in the community. Taking place in several different churches, their location changes multiple times a week. They serve breakfasts and lunches for anyone in the area. For many of the residents in the shelter, the Grace Center is a lifesaver, especially in the winter time.

Sophia already has experience with organizing projects for the bettering of the community. Last year, she participated in the Boston Walk for Hunger. She has also raised $3500 for food charities and would like to become further involved with the Grace Center.

“I want to help my community in whatever way is possible,” said Hogan-Lopez. “There are so many people who are less fortunate than myself. It makes me feel less selfish.”

She couldn’t have done it all on her own, however. She credits her success to Principal James Cook for working with her, as well as librarians Maura Feener and Samantha Whitney, for setting it up.

Students who wish to help are encouraged to bring in hats, scarves, mittens, or gloves to the GHS library. The drive will continue throughout the winter.