Girls hockey falls short

Jason Grow

Sophomore Maisie Grow slides into the net after scoring a goal in last Wednesday’s game

BRIANNA FERNANDES, Staff Writer

The Fishermen girls ice hockey team lost their home opener Wednesday night against the Cambridge Rindge and Latin Falcons. The game ended with a final score of 7-6.

The Fisherman started off the first period strong and every player put their best skate forward. Senior captains Rachel Alexander and Nicole Tocco put the puck in the net for the Gloucester /Rockport co-op team, but fell short by one point at the end of the first period. The team went into the second period trailing 3-2.

The Fisherman did not score in the second period, however the girls continued to skate hard and work together to keep the puck out of Gloucester’s defensive zone. Goalie Jenna Taormina was able to deflect many of the Falcon’s shots on net. However, Cambridge was still in the lead by the end of the second.

The third period started and the fighting Fishermen came out ready to make a comeback. Alexander and Tocco both put their second goals of the game in the net for the Fishermen. Sophomore Maisie Grow stepped up in the third to also put two more goals in net.

The girls next game will be held at the Dorothy Talbot Rink on Wednesday, December 21st against Andover.