Field hockey advances to Quarterfinals

Jason Grow

Rachel Alexander dribbles past Clippers defender in Wednesday night’s game

JENNA TAORMINA, Staff Writer, Editor

After a first round tournament win against Newburyport last night, the Gloucester High School field hockey team will be advancing to the Division 2 Quarterfinals for a third year in a row. The game ended with a final score of 2-0.

Newbury opened up the game with possession of the ball, but the Fisherman soon recovered to allow senior captain Rachel Alexander to get the first goal of the game after just six minutes. Alexander, who was recently named Northeast Conference Most Valuable Player, dribbled past multiple defenders to find the back of the net on a reverse drive.

In the second half, the Fisherman played with just as much intensity as the first despite the Clippers doing the same. With 22:15 left in the half, freshman starter Cate Delaney found the back of the net to secure the win for the team.

The Clippers came back at the end of the game to receive a few corner chances but defenders Sammy Orlando and Marisa Enes, along with midfielder Sam Cominelli and Alexander, helped to keep the team from scoring any goals.

The Fisherman walked away from the game having received no shots on goalie Jenna Taormina.

Last year, the team lost to Weston in the quarterfinals with a final score of 2-1. They will now be traveling to play second seeded Manchester-Essex. Manchester finished their season with an undefeated record of 18-0. The game will be held at Manchester-Essex Regional High School at 4pm.