Interact gets cracking with annual fundraiser

Jenna Taormina

Interact club members make lobster rolls for the popular annual fundraiser

LAUREN BENCHOFF, Staff Writer

Got lobster? The GHS Interact club does.

The lobster roll fundraiser was underway on Friday as Interact club members toured through Gloucester and parts of the North Shore on Friday delivering handmade lobster rolls. 

Thirty student volunteers cleaned 84 pounds of lobster, and made close to 450 lobster rolls for the event.

For a donation of $14.00, people received a lobster roll, a cookie, and a bag of chips.

The fundraiser, which is usually held on the last week of October or the first week of November, was moved up this year due to an increase in lobster prices.

“Though we had a rough start, we seem to be doing very well,” said history teacher and Interact Club adviser Michael Perreault.

The lobster roll fundraiser is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the club, bringing in roughly around $3,000.

“We hope to make around $2,500,” said senior club Co-President Macaella Oliver.

The money collected from this fundraiser won’t be donated right away, but instead will be held until the total amount of money made from the entire year’s worth of fundraising can be split up between various charities. On average, Interact Club donates $6,500 per year.

Interact donates to American Cancer Society, Hepher International and American Red Cross. Proceeds also benefit The Sunshine Fund, YMCA Camp Spindrift, Pathways for Children and The Open Door Food Pantry. Other charities include Against Malaria, the Sawyer free library, The Child Find of America, Relay for Life, Pure Water for the World, and Doctors Without Borders.

“I like to be involved and help support my community, ” said Interact member Maria Kotob. “As much work as making the lobster rolls was, I really liked being able to work with my classmates and spending time with them for a good cause.”