Boys’ basketball season comes to an end

Michael Lattof

Senior John Philpott crosses up Beverly defender in a game earlier this season

MIKE CODY, Staff Writer

The Gloucester Fishermen boys’ basketball season came to an end on Wednesday night at Reading Memorial High School. The team lost to the Reading Rockets 68-58 in a valiant effort. The Fishermen should be proud of the season they have put forth, going 10-11 and making the tournament yet again.

The Fishermen lead the entire game but eventually foul trouble caught up to them in the fourth quarter and Reading took their first lead. Second half fouls were called heavily in Reading’s favor as 24 were called against Gloucester and only 8 against Reading.

The calls against Gloucester caused coach Bill Cahill to become frustrated in the last minutes. He was given a technical foul to further complicate what senior captain John Philpott considered to be questionable officiating.

“I think that the fouls were quite favorable towards one side and there was nothing we could do about it,” said Philpott.

Junior captain Evan Mason lead the team in scoring with 21 points, while senior starting point guard Alex Militello had 13 points and multiple assists. John Philpott also contributed 9 points and lead the team in rebounds.

“It wasn’t the season we planned for, but with a late surge at the end, we pulled it together,” said Philpott. “It wasn’t the season we necessarily had hoped for but I can definitely say it was a fun one.”