Survey shows twenty-four percent of GHS students have been bullied

Back to Article
Back to Article

ERIN TETTONI, Staff Writer

Bullying, the use of power or strength to intimidate others, has affected many people at some point in their lives. A recent student health survey reported that 24 percent of students at GHS have been bullied in the past year.

This number surprised some students and teachers, and some people question the survey and do not feel that the surveys conducted are precise.

“They’re not completely accurate,” said GHS adjustment counselor Amy Kamm. “While there are people who scan the anonymous tests for dishonest answers, I definitely think there are better ways to assess teen behavior.”

Senior Gage Lavery thinks the reported number is too high.  “I feel like compared to other schools there is less bullying here,” said Lavery.

Other students feel like the reported number is low.

“It’s a low number,” said senior Abigail Francis. “I feel like if you’ve been bullied you won’t want to admit it, only the brave ones do.”

Kamm has an idea of why there are different responses to the survey.

“Everyone’s definition of bullying is different, and not all are accurate,” said Kamm. “Calling someone a name one time is not bullying.”

Kamm has an acronym to help students decipher true bullying; R.I.P. “R.I.P. stands for Repetitive Intentional Power (Differential),” said Kamm, “Real bullying occurs more than once and there is a difference in power or social status.”

In recent years bullying has shifted from being physical or verbal to online or cyber bullying. Much of the bullying that occurs now is through social media and is being brought in by a third party.

When asked what could be done to prevent bullying,  students and faculty alike had some ideas.

“The best prevention is education,” said Kamm. “We need to teach kids not to be bystanders.”

“There’s always going to be jerks in the world,” said junior Karissa Murray. “But at least if there is a support group it will make it easier.”

About the Photographer
Jenna Taormina, Staff Writer, Editor

Jenna Taormina is a member of the GHS field hockey and ice hockey teams and senior Co-Editor of The Gillnetter. She is also a member of the National Honors...

1 Comment

One Response to “Survey shows twenty-four percent of GHS students have been bullied”

1. Julia on December 4th, 2015 7:08 pm

The statistic seems too high. I believe the majority at some point, came across a jerk who was rude to them and rubbed them the wrong way through out school, I have, but not out and out bullying, like in the movies or in the media! I have met standoffish rude cliques and sarcastic jerks, but none I would say “bullied” me. It wasn’t personal, they just were snippy and inconsiderate to a group of people they choose outside their narrow friend circle. Many mature and grow out of it, or tone it down by high school to my experience. “Bullying” to me is specifically targeted at you and like Mrs. Kamm said, repetitive. The only thing I disagree with is the social-status thing. Social and economic equals can bully each other. Friends can turn on friends even though they may be their peer and equal in every way. It’s not just the rich bullying the poor, per se. Poor people can bully poor people and rich people can bully rich people just as easily. Anyone can come up with hurtful words and actions. I do not see any explicit bullying at GHS, any is probably very subtle and only boarders on real bullying. That’s what I’ve experienced in middle school. One can be rude and a sarcastic jerk to you, but not do it specifically for you alone! Many do not see their actions, and do it out of immaturity and lack of empathy.

• Survey shows twenty-four percent of GHS students have been bullied

News

Menorah Lighting Promotes Solidarity

News

“Slow Down” policy takes effect today

News

Got blood? Donate.

News

Major changes to MCAS take effect this spring

News

Teachers bowl in their “spare” time for a good cause

News

Get up and join a club

News

Sawyer Medal Recipients

News

School Choice: Behind the Numbers

News

Mr. Perreault to receive the Unsung Hero Award

News

Auto Tech students will fix your car for free