Health fair focuses on nutrition and lifestyle

Katelyn Moore

(From left) Marlaina Fulmer, Julia Wood, and Rachel Alexander promoting healthy eating at the health fair

KATELYN MOORE, Staff Writer, Editor

This week, community health organizations gathered at Gloucester High School to help educate teens about making healthy choices and decisions at the annual GHS Health Fair.

The field house was set up with booths to provide healthy foods, products, and advice. Many tables gave out little trinkets or healthy foods such as fruits and hummus.

“I thought it was great how many healthy options I found at the health fair,” said senior Lukas Struppe.

Dr. Marissa Pinksten Kent,  GHS Class of 2005 was the keynote speaker for a special  assembly before the fair for juniors and seniors. Kent is a GHS grad who attended Tufts Medical School and graduated in May 2015. Kent is currently a resident studying Urology at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Manhattan.

She spoke about how and when she came to decide on a career in medicine and urology, and what classes and activities she participated in at GHS that helped prepare her for the path she chose.

Students had the opportunity to take surveys, with questions such as “Did you eat breakfast this morning?” Students also had a chance to try out Mr. Sperry’s yoga class.

Nurse practitioner Linda Gipstein, along with Karen Hurst of the GHS health center, coordinated the event with Grace Numerosi, the community relations manager with Lahey Health.

Many officials from the Gloucester Police Department also attended the health fair along with Gloucester’s Mayor, Sefatia Romeo-Theken.

“I want to know what’s going on in the community and that starts with the kids,” said Romeo-Theken. “We need to listen to the kids more because they have such great ideas.”

“I like how it teaches people how to be healthier,” said senior Matilda Grow. “We can start making healthier choices now before we’re adults.”