The Gillnetter

The student news site of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, MA

Breaking News
  • Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • Term 4 progress reports on 5/8!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

The Gillnetter

The Gillnetter

Polls

What political issue is most important to you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Power of Play is back for another day of fun

Join GEF for another year of the Power of Play!

As the winter months slow to a halt, children and adults alike are eager to escape the house in search of a fun activity. This Sunday the 24th offers the perfect opportunity: the Gloucester Education Foundation’s Power of Play event, to take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the GHS Field House. 

Throughout the day, kids will have the chance to participate in activities such as creating art projects, playing musical chairs, building forts, exploring a life size exhibit of Candy Land, and much more. Volunteers will also be stationed in each area to help engage participants in each activity. 

Originally started in 2016, the annual event has gained lots of attraction from both attendees and volunteers, with last year’s Power of Play having over 1000 people present. This year, local volunteers from groups such as GMGI, Pathways, Seaside Circus, Backyard Growers, the YMCA, Sawyer Free Library, Kindred Gardens, MAGMA and the GHS Docksiders will be in attendance. 

“Last year, as a volunteer, I saw firsthand the magic of Power of Play and I am honored to be taking on the role of event chair this year,” said Power of Play event chair Ingrid Conti. “Children are at the heart of this event, and I’m excited to lead efforts in creating an unforgettable experience that ignites a passion for learning through play.” 

This family event is made possible by the numerous sponsors such as the Sawyer Free Library, Seashore Comfort Solutions, Medeiros General Construction Inc. and the leading sponsor, Cape Ann Savings Bank. 

“We are once again very proud to be the lead sponsor of the annual Power of Play event,” said Cape Ann Savings Bank President, Marianne Smith. “You cannot put a value on education through hands-on learning. This day brings children and families together to play while learning in a fun and inquisitive way.” 

All ages are welcome and encouraged to participate in Power of Play and explore the multitude of activities, which are sure to provide an exciting break from the bustle of everyday life.