• Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

Jazz showcase to play at Shalin Liu

Art+by+Sophia+Montello.+
Sophia Montello
Art by Sophia Montello.

On Thursday, February 15, a jazz workshop presented by Rockport Music will be showcasing their talents and musicality at the Shalin Liu Performance Center. 

The jazz workshop is part of the jazz outreach activities in the summer and winter directed by Alexa Taratino who is a renowned international saxophonist and jazz enthusiast. This year it will take place over the summer with a duration of one week at the Endicott College campus. Applications for the two workshops, one for beginners and one for advanced, this July and August are opening this month.

Student musicians such as Sean Buckley, a theater enthusiast and saxophone player at GHS and the 6-year experienced bassist Charlie Telles from Rockport High School will be performing at the event. Other young musicians participating from around Cape Ann include Kiki Campbell on the flute, Zac Girash on the saxophone, trumpet player Eamonn Connolly, pianist Eddy Conrad, and Mason Kahn on the drums. 

Telles also plays for Rockport High’s orchestra and their jazz band just as Buckley does for GHS. Telles says he applies what he learns in the workshop to these other ensembles he is a part of where he “can show it off more.”

“The workshop is mostly gaining experience and just getting more comfortable playing,” Telles said. 

Telles and Buckley joined the workshop for their love of jazz but got more than just a lesson in jazz.

“The people are amazing and the knowledge you will gain is unlike anything you can find on the North Shore,” Buckley said. “In all 7 years of playing the saxophone, I have by far learned the most at the Cape Ann Jazz Workshop, and my jazz knowledge and studies always improve the most during this stellar workshop.”

Buckley finds the members’ “communal passion for music” contributes to the workshop’s positive atmosphere and synchronous nature.

“I certainly felt like all voices were heard, as instead of telling us what songs we are doing, Alexa Tarantino asked for our input on what songs we would like to do.” Buckley said. 

“We all fit well together,” Telles said in agreement. 

Reserve a seat for no charge at the Shalin Liu for February 15 at 7:00 p.m. at 37 Main St in Rockport and enjoy the immersive venue with melodious music and a backdrop of nighttime oceanic scenery. 

“The performance venue at the Shalin Liu is stunning,” Buckley said. “The staff of the performance center as well as the staff of the camp are quick to aid you in the events of the concert and are incredibly helpful and informative.”

For more information on the event or the upcoming jazz workshop, Visit rockportmusic.org