Theater students hone skills at METG workshop

Jessica Ruggles

Sophomore Danielle Crear practices her stage make up techniques

HANNAH SEARS, Staff Writer

Earlier this month, GHS drama students went on a field trip to Bridgewater State University to hone their theater skills with many students across Massachusetts.

The event was organized by the Massachusetts Educational Theater Guild, or METG, and featured lessons in skills such as Technical Design, Production, Choreography, Stage Combat, Character Study, Vocal Techniques, and Improvisation.

“I took stage combat in the morning and stage makeup in the afternoon. I liked both a lot” said sophomore thespian Danielle Crear. “But if I had to choose between the two, I would chose stage makeup, because as an actor I don’t get the experience of doing tech things,” said Crear. “It gave me a new perspective on what its like to be a makeup artist, and to design new makeup based on a character.”

“I took stage combat and clowning,” said GHS junior and drama club member, Amy Geraghty.  “Stage combat was one of my favorites. We just did a lot in the class. The teacher was really nice.”

Many memories were made on the trip and many of those who went would suggest it to others. “It was really fun and we got to run with the people in our school and other schools,” said Geraghty.

“I definitely think that it was worth it to go, and things like this should be encouraged because it was a new learning experience and that is what field trips should be,” said Crear.

“I believe this was a great opportunity and, as a theater kid, I am glad that the theater department is building and giving us opportunities like these to further our understanding in all of the fields in theater.”