• Junior Event on 4/26!
  • DECA Internationals on 4/27!
  • April Break starts on 4/15!
  • Senior Banquet on 4/25!

Sawyer Free Library hosts beam signing ceremony

Architectural+prediction+of+what+the+2025+Sawyer+Free+Library+is+to+look+like.+
Oudens & Ello Architecture
Architectural prediction of what the 2025 Sawyer Free Library is to look like.

Within Gloucester, the aim to recognize the city’s rich history is apparent in the numerous memorials and statues scattered throughout the community. This week, residents have the opportunity to include themselves in this history during the 2025 Sawyer Free Library cornerstone beam signing ceremony .

The signing will take place February 1st – February 3rd from 10:30 to 2:30 each day in front of the Saunders House on Middle Street. Community members are encouraged to sign their name and leave positive messages on the beam, showing their contribution in forming a place dedicated to helping people learn and grow. 

“GHS students are contributing to creating a vibrant intellectual center that will shape the identity of Gloucester for years to come,” said library director Jenny Benedict. “The renovated, expanded, and modernized Sawyer Free Library will then stand as more than just a structure of bricks and mortar but a living, breathing entity fueled by the spirit of its community.” 

On February 9th at 10 am, a ceremony will be held, welcoming the community  to witness the installation of the beam. This marks a milestone in construction of the new library which is set to open in the summer of 2025. Until then, the Sawyer Free Library resides on 21 Main Street, above Mystery Train. 

Anybody who signs the beam is encouraged to post photos on FaceBook or Instagram and tag @SawyerFreeLibrary as well as use the hashtag #signthebeam. Additionally, the Sawyer Free Library is accepting donations towards the project at sawyerfreelibrary.org 

WHAT: Sawyer Free Library beam signing

WHEN: February 1- February 3, 2024

WHERE: 2 Dale Avenue

COST: FREE!!!